Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My first blog -- ever.

I just ran across this facility this morning as I was bathing in a gush of techno-babble on Linus Torvalds's Blogspot blog, and lifting the new "Tuz" image. Once I figured out that Google owns www.blogger.com I started circling it like a moth a flame (or a hyena a lion's kill...). Anyway, gmail has worked well for me and mine, so I just now took the plunge into the world of public -- if anybody reads my postings, that is -- self-expression.

This blogging site is cleanly competent, like Google's other offerings, and vaguely unsettling. Is Google like the guy giving out free drugs by the schoolyard, to get you hooked on gmail, Chrome, Blogspot, and so on, and then turn the screws? Or worse yet, is Google going to gather all the forage on the Net to itself, leaving the other companies to starve? (i.e. Is it the Walmart of the Web?)

More prosaically, it probably just wants to become Too Intertwined In Our Lives to Fail. (The AIG of the Web.) It's important to remember that there is no precedent for Google, the Web, and what's going on now in our so-called society. Who knows, it may all turn out wonderfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment